Monday, October 10, 6:00PM

The Drake horn studio is happy to host Maria Serkin, horn professor at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts, in a master class open to high school students.

Maria Serkin is an active performer and pedagogue who began teaching at UNCSA in 2015. Previously, she was the Lecturer of Horn at the University of Virginia and the Principal Horn of the Charlottesville Symphony. An avid educator, Dr. Serkin has taught horn master classes extending from the Eastman School of Music and The Juilliard School, to the Crescendo Summer Institute in Hungary. Her doctoral research established a progressive method of transposition — a first in the advancement of horn methodology.

“Since I am an active performer, I incorporate relevant performance concepts directly into my teaching. I train my students to become problem solvers — an essential skill for emerging young artists. “

The master class will be held in Room 204 of the Harmon Fine Arts Center on the Drake University campus.  Contact Guinevere McIntyre at guinevere [dot] mcintyre [at] drake [dot] edu with any questions.